8.22.2008

Wait, huh?

So remember how I said I was going to be blogging more? Well, this week the blog gods have been generously giving and giving; I've had each post just about gift-wrapped for me.

Case in point, this ad:



Now, one might notice this ad and think, "clever, clever... this agency was being ironic with the whole, Jessica Simpson, be smart thing." Right? I mean, surely, that was their angle... wasn't it?

But then read the copy at the bottom:

"I work out and take care of myself. But I also like a cold beer once in a while. That's why I made the smart choice with a smart beer. Stampede Light, it's beer plus."


Who wrote this??! Clearly this was written circa 1978, because... who writes stuff like this? "I work out and take care of myself. But I also like a cold beer once in a while." That is straight out of, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."

There was much hype surround Jessica Simpson's decision to be the "face" of Stampede Beer--and quite frankly, in my opinion, anyway--the ad agency could have had a lot of fun with it. Sure Stampede is getting a ton of press no matter what... but this ad could have been executed in at least 10 better ways.

No comments: