7.23.2010

Friday LOLs

I don't get many jokes via email these days. I'm not sure the reason (are people still doing that? Or do we now just tweet the funny stuff?), but my email is looking pretty serious these days, what with projects, and clients, and actual WORK.

However, my mom changed all that last night--she forwarded me a list of "Comments made in the year 1955." The thing that struck me as funny is the way this email is worded. It's title--Comments made in the year 1955--suggests that it might be famous quotations or something along those lines. However, it's much more in the vain of "I walked to school 10 miles everyday, uphill both ways, in the snow, even in August." In other words, 1955 was very culturally different than nowadays, let's all have a laugh. An example:

I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.


It's interesting to read how different things were way back when, but what cracks me up the most is the manner in which they're written. I wonder if Don Draper has ever uttered these words:

I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $10.00.

Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $1,000.00 will only buy a used one.

If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. 20 cents a pack is ridiculous.

Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter?

When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage [note: if only we did leave the car in the garage!]

I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it [This one may just be my favorite]

I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.

It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet [Scratch that--this one's my favorite]

I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $15.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.

If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a hair cut, forget it.


I can't wait to watch the season premiere of Mad Men Sunday night--for many reasons, but one of which will be if anyone on the show actually says these things.

No comments: