6.14.2010

Relay for Life

This past weekend, I was fortunate enough to participate in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life:

At Relay, teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Because cancer never sleeps, Relays are overnight events up to 24 hours in length.


The Fairfield Relay was 12 hours, 6PM to 6AM on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. It was one of the most amazing experiences.

Here's basecamp: Team Survive, Thrive and Endure. My friend Jane asked me to be a part of this now 3 year old team, and we have 27 team members!




You can purchase a luminaria in honor of anyone--they then line the track with them. At dusk, they have a ceremony when they light them all.




I was walking in honor of both my grandmothers.




Survivor's Lap: There's a bunch of ceremonies that take place during the first half of relay, but none for me were as emotional as the survivor's lap. I'm all choked up writing about it.




Look at the happiness on these survivors' faces.




Team Survive, Thrive and Endure




An overhead shot of Fairfield Relay 2010. All in all, there were 1850 participants which made up 164 teams. I'm thrilled to say that Team Survive, Thrive and Endure raised $9322. In total, Fairfield Relay raised $213,977.54!



At sunrise Sunday morning, my body--especially my legs--was dog tired (I had walked 12 miles total), but I left with so much more strength than when I arrived. To my friend (and team captain) Jane, thank you so much for asking me to be a part of this. I can't wait to do it again next year.

(And to my friend Marty: Thanks for the Sugarbabies. And next year, let's not wait until 4:15 AM to run! :)

No comments: