4.21.2008

Happy Earth Day!

Tomorrow, as many of you know, is Earth Day. Rather than get all preachy-preachy about what you can do to offset your carbon footprint (now that saving the environment is in vogue, I'm pretty positive you'll come across the words "compact flourescent," "organic cotton," and" biodiesel" oh, about a hundred times each on Tuesday), I'll just send along my well wishes for an earth-friendly day (and hope that--as I explained to Ashlee earlier--you don't limit yourself to the day).

Oh yeah, there's another plug I want to get in here. A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to interview my RTM rep, Larry Kaley, for an article I was writing in Fairfield Magazine. The article was about an Earth Day festival he was chairing, and, during our conversation, he mentioned (not knowing I was a graphic designer) that they also handed out a program at this fair. "Hold the phone," I said, "Sign me up."

Thus began my work with Fairfield's Earth Day Celebration, 2008. I offered my services and ideas to layout the guidebook, and really make it something that people would hold onto and use as a resource for all things green. It not only includes all of the exhibiting vendors at the Earth Day festivities, but many other green tips and tricks, as well as articles and recipes. I don't get a chance to do much pro bono work, so to work on something that I am passionate about really makes me feel great.

I hope that you all get a chance to come over to Fairfield Warde High School on Saturday, May 10, from 9:30 – 3:00 (it's not held on the traditional Earth Day, as a lot of the vendors and speakers are booked for that day) and check out this year's fair. I know there will be not only a ton of information, but there's also going to be plenty of giveaways (I'm going to enter quite a few times to win that Vespa!); as well as family entertainment, and stuff for the kiddies. I am truly thrilled to be a part of this, it's very exciting to see how it all comes together.

Also, this week is the "green" issue of the NY Times magazine. I'm only 1/3 of the way through it, but so far, it's a very interesting read. Rather that a couple of longer articles on the state of the environment (bad), and what we can do about it (lots), there's page after page of 1-2 paragraph snippets of information. I likey.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to change your lightbulbs! (just kidding... but not really :)

No comments: