2.24.2007

Font-Filled Saturday

Earlier this week I was flipping through InStyle Magazine, and I came across a page devoted to Edie Sedgwick. At the bottom of the page, there's a cover shot of a book about her, and I immediately fell in love with the font:


It's just gorgeous, and I knew it would be perfect for a logo that I'm working on. Now let me just take a moment or two to explain that I love fonts. I love to play with them, to explore their shapes, sizes, widths, serifs, curves... everything. I can get pretty excited about a font, and that's just how I felt when I saw this one.

So I literally spent the better part of this afternoon trying to track down the name of this font--all based on the letters E, D and I. I checked the usual suspects: Identifont and What the Font--nothing. However, What the Font has a nice little forum, you can upload the font in question, and other users will try and help you out. A few hours later, I had my answer:


Perla, from Alias Type. Beautiful, isn't it?

In the couple hours before I gotten the answer (and in all honesty, I wasn't expecting one so quick!), however, I had moved on and crafted something similar out of Bodoni Poster. Truth be told, for this specific logo, I prefer the font I created, but I'm going to file this one away--it's too great not to use!

As far as the logo goes, I'll share that once the client picks something... we're still on round one, and--just in case--I don't want to ruin any surprises :)

No comments: